President, Learning Agents Inc.
Downloadable version (.doc)
- Bold, creative thinker: conceives, advocates, pilots and implements new strategies for digital program distribution, tele-learning, groupware and knowledge management.
- Partnership/Alliance builder: forges external links with industry and government to leverage organizational positioning, productive partnerships and critical R&D initiatives.
- Results-oriented leader: develops innovative strategies and executes practical plans to achieve them; delivers projects to time and budget; motivates staff for high productivity.
2000-Present: President, Learning Agents Inc.
Producer and partnership coordinator for “Welcome to Canada”, the introductory section of the federal immigration portal “Going to Canada”. Partnership included CIC, Success Skills Centre, Technologies for Learning Group and ISAs across Canada acting as advisors.
Led the consulting team that produced a strategic plan for online EAL in Manitoba. Client was Adult Language Training. ALT is moving forward to act on this plan.
Developed Career Destination MANITOBA for Newcomers, an online learning resource for skilled immigrants, based on the success of Career Destination: MANITOBA
Developed Career Destination: MANITOBA, an innovative online gallery of career profiles, based on the life stories of real Manitobans. Partnership with the Manitoba Sector Training Network
Developed new business and supervised new curriculum development as consultant to Red River College, Contract Training Division. Forged productive partnerships for curriculum development and delivery (Encore Business Systems, Macrodyne, Lean Enterprise Institute Canada).
Produced and directed an instructional video for Industry Canada on Lean Manufacturing, in partnership with Red River College and Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters.
1996-2000: Manager, Computers and Telecommunications, TVOntario
Developed and successfully negotiated IT capital renewal plan with senior management to enable TVOntario’s strategic shift to the Internet (annual capital investment increased from $100K to $500K).
Reduced costs for telecommunications infrastructure and service by over 50% over three years.
Negotiated creative partnerships to significantly reduce IT costs (HP-$250K, Sun-$150K).
1993-96: Founder, The Online Group, TVOntario
Led the start-up and successful operation of this award-winning new media production team:
• concept, proposal, budget and hiring for the Online Group
• initial platform selection and later extension to the Internet
• internal/external education, promotion and business development
Pioneered new ways of working at TVOntario:
• led a self-directed work team, identified and achieved corporate goals outside line management
• created The LOOP, a groupware system which flattened TVOntario’s organizational culture, creating a forum for the discussion of organizational issues and the development of new ideas.
1989-93: Video Editor, TVOntario
Production Editor on several projects, including:
• “The Global Family”, a highly popular nature series, an international co-production with NHK in Japan (wrote scripts for this also).
• “A Question of Justice”, a ground-breaking series on Canadian jurisprudence for high schools, which mixed drama and documentary for maximum impact.
Technical Management Skills
Multiple platform computer, telecommunications (voice and data), video and film experience for 20 years in broadcast television, distance education and new media. Creative, technical, project management and executive production roles.
Education and Training
2001-2002 eLearning: Teaching & Training with Technology (Seneca College)
2000 Train the Trainer (Red River College)
1998 Essentials of Project Management (MICA Management Resources)
1980-93 Professional training and experience in film/video post-production
1980 Honours BA in Communication Studies from Concordia University